Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tying Memories to Music

Which sense triggers the strongest memories and emotions in you? I would usually say scents for myself, but today I'm leaning toward sound. When I get a waft of a particular cologne I have a vague remembrance of a time in my life, or when I smell specific flowers, I remember my summer vacations to Hawaii. However, sometimes I can't quite assign the scent to a specific person, place or memory.

When it comes to sound though, specifically through music and lyrics... I can remember quite vividly what experience it was tied to. For instance, the first time I heard 'Strawberry Wine' by Deanna Carter, I was at a high school dance on a Friday after a football game in 11th grade. When the first twangs of the song came on, my friend Jenny Coffee clapped pretty excitedly and said, "I love this song!" I even remember the look on her face. When I hear the song "Latter Days" by Over the Rhine I'm transported back to college theater, sitting in the empty audience looking over the Christmas decorations strewn about on our beautiful castle set from the fall production of Hamlet. When I hear the song "All I Need" by Shawn McDonald, I remember a warm breeze, sitting in a Chicago suburb in roommates parents' back yard with my attention fixed on Erik Heavey as he strummed his guitar with a group of us singing along. (Wearing his White Hoodie with yellow Numbers- weird that I remember, I know.) I know this isn't unusual... to tie memories to music- I just really appreciate that God created us to be this way.

I've noticed that I've inadvertently fixed specific music to most of the people in my life. It might not even be music that they enjoy or that we've listened to together, but it reminds me of those relationships. For example, I associate Roommate with Dave Barnes, Monica with Bebo Norman (one specific song), Whit with Tracy Chapman, Maggie with Rascal Flatts and Callie with Keith Urban. Ryan is a whole different story, but he pops right into my mind any time Brad Paisley comes through a speaker. I know everyone likes music, but I think I appreciate it that much more because it reminds me of my friends- and I like to remember my friends.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've been listening to Dave Barnes all day because you remind me of things I love.

Thanks.