Thursday, June 11, 2009

Amusement & Adventure

I mean this as a challenge. I got peeved and this is the result.

Ryan and I have been talking a lot lately about pass times. Amusement vs. Adventure. I would say that in my teen years I spent most of my time being amused. (and usually for most people it had been restricted to teen years... I'm now observing that it's seeped into 20's and even 30's!) I sat and waited for something entertaining to spark my interest. I watched tv, listened to the radio, played video games, and went to movies. I was happy. There was no oppressing force telling me that I screwed up a task, because how do you screw up if you an observer? I felt like I was learning things, being swept up in new emotional spectrum's from tv and movies, gaining hand eye coordination from video games and knowing worldly gossip from the radio. (Mind you I listened to KDWB- not NPR) I felt like I was totally on top of my game and doing just what I was supposed to do. I knew how to live my life well because I was really good at these things, watching movies that were thought provoking and playing puzzling games as if it were making my brain grow. How naive. I wasted an entire chunk of my life by simply watching. I told myself that I was learning, that I was the quiet casual observer. I told myself that this was my role. I was a child at heart. What I've learned from that is that being a child at heart doesn't mean I could get away with a child's lifestyle or point of view. I could have been participating in my thick emotional plots with REAL relationships, I could have been making movies, I could have done something amazing to make the people on the radio want to talk about me! Being a child at heart is living with a child's Zest for life! Learning everything new, seeking out things that make your heart skip and getting excited about new things! Adventure is the key. It implies motion, ACTION! The difference between being a kid and being grown up is all about range of motion. Being older affords more options, TAKE THEM!!! This is important. I can't sit and wait any longer to start living a life of action. I want to be someone who inspires others to try something new, to go some place different and to dig deep into their relationships. Wasting the only life that we're given is not an option. Ryan and I (I'm pretty sure) are on the same page.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love how you learn. Thanks.