Friday, March 6, 2009

Nemesis


Ryan got in a knife fight with a bagel yesterday... the bagel won. How did this come about? I'm sure you can guess, it's the familiar bagel cut injury, but from his reaction there was no way to tell how bad it was. All I heard was, "Oh shoot." He wasn't panicked, he was annoyed. I thought he dropped his food in dishwater or something. I was curious, "What happened?" to which he responded, "I cut myself, kind of bad." Always an adventure that husband of mine.

We made the familiar drive to Urgent Care in Arden Hills where they gave him 5 stitches in his left hand. Ouch. There are a few lessons here. First, no matter how many harmless times you've used the palm of your hand as a cutting board, it's NEVER a good idea. Second, if you don't want to drive yourself to urgent care, I suggest not showing me your 1.5 "long - profusely bloody wound. This time it wasn't even that I don't know how to drive a stick, it would have been irresponsible for me to get behind the wheel in such a woozy state.

That's right, he was a man and drove himself... with a bloody hand, in a manual car, with a woozy wife all the way there. The funniest thing was, before we left the only concern and panic he expressed was for the bagel and whether or not it was going to be edible by the time we made it home. It was not.

As for now, he's doing fine, all stitched up, they come out in 9 days. He's bummed about missing basketball for the next 2 weeks, which may be what really made him learn the proper bagel cutting lesson. (p.s. he has an extremely high pain tolerance. It's amazing really.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar (identical) thing happen a few years ago while working at starbucks... the doctor informed me as he sewed my hand up that cutting bagels is one of the most common reasons for stitches in hands. I now own a bagel slicer (since I experience PTSD whenever I try to use a bread knife).