Monday, March 31, 2008

My Last Class


This is an example from a printmaking class- teaching kids ages 5-7.

I'm officially done teaching at the Eagan Art House. Originally I took this position to get a taste of how my gifts line up with a teaching environment. I can see where Moscioni gets all of her stories. As much as I enjoyed these children, and the occasional adult students, I found that teaching one on one is more my niche. I would really like to teach private lessons where the structure is a bit more flexible to the individuals wants and needs. One thing I found difficult with teaching basic art was finding projects that could be worked on with a large variety of skill sets. I would suggest to parents, if you want your child to get the most out of an art class, to expand creativity and skill, enroll them in private lessons. In a few cases I found the environment I taught in to be more of a day camp for parents who want "Me" time at the salon. (Which really turns me off)

In any case, it was a wonderful learning experience for me, which is what I wanted in the first place. Don't get me wrong about the Art House, there are wonderful teachers there and a large variety of classes. I would recommend it to any one looking for a introduction to a medium- they would be able to do wonderful things if the class sets were longer. If you are looking for a talented painting teacher for a short term class, check out painting classes with Eric at the Art House.

Welp, I guess I'm on to bigger and better things. Any suggestions?

No comments: